Wisconsin Association of School Nurses School Nurse Administrator of the Year Nomination Process
PURPOSE: To publicly recognize the contributions of school nurse administrators state-wide by annually honoring one school nurse administrator who has demonstrated excellence in leading and coordinating quality school nursing service programs.
SPONSOR: Wisconsin Association of School Nurses (WASN)
- Nominee must be a registered professional nurse and a member of WASN for the current year.
- Nominee must have at least one year of experience in school nursing administration and currently practicing full-time as a school nurse administrator in which their main responsibilities include the supervision, administration, and coordination of a nursing service program(s). If nominee does not meet these requirements, please consider them for the Katheryn Etter School Nurse of the Year Award.
- Current members of the WASN Board of Directors are eligible for nomination.
- Nominees or anyone nominating an individual may not serve on the selection committee.
CRITERIA FOR SELECTION:
Supporting evidence of excellence in school nursing practice must be provided with the nomination. Demonstration of excellence in practice using the Framework for 21st Century School Nursing Practice ™ is expected. Standards of excellence in professional practice are evaluated according to the following select American Nurses Association (ANA) standards, National Association of School Nurses (NASN) Standards of Professional Performance for School Nursing (3rd Edition, 2017) and the American Nurses Association’s Nursing Administration: Scope and Standards of Practice (2nd Edition, 2016) :
Standard 2: IDENTIFICATION OF PROBLEMS, ISSUES, AND TRENDS- The (school) nurse administrator analyzes the assessment data to identify problems, issues, and trends.
Standard 5B: PROMOTION OF HEALTH EDUCATION, And a SAFE ENVIRONMENT– The (school) nurse administrator establishes strategies to promote health education, and a safe environment.
Standard 8: CULTURALLY CONGRUENT PRACTICE – The (school) nurse administrator practices in a safe manner that is congruent with cultural diversity and inclusion principles.
Standard 10: COLLABORATION - The (school) nurse administrator collaborates with the healthcare consumer, colleagues, community leaders and other stakeholders to advance nursing practice and healthcare transformation.
Standard 11: LEADERSHIP – The (school) nurse administrator leads within the professional practice setting, profession, healthcare industry, and society.
Standard 12: EDUCATION – The (school) nurse administrator attains knowledge and competence that reflect nursing practice and promotes futuristic thinking.
Standard 13: EVIDENCE-BASED PRACTICE & RESEARCH - The (school) nurse administrator integrates evidence and research findings into practice.
Standard 14: QUALITY OF PRACTICE - The (school) nurse administrator contributes to quality nursing practice.
PROCEDURE FOR SUBMISSION OF AN APPLICATION:
- Nomination may be made by school nurses, school staff, administrators, supervisors, teachers, parents, students, community members or others. Please feel free to share this application throughout your district.
- The nomination form can be found online here. Supporting documentation requirements are listed below and should be uploaded to the application at the time of nomination.
- A complete nomination application should include:
- Nomination form.
- Nominee’s current resume or curriculum vitae.
- Up to three (3) letters of recommendation* which may be submitted by school nurses, principals, supervisors, teachers, parents, students or community members. Letters should be limited to one (1) page each.
* Letters should describe specific issues or topics related to the nominee's qualifications for the award based on the selection criteria. In order to assist the selection committee in determining how the nominee demonstrates excellence in the Standards of Professional Performance for School Nurses and the Framework for 21st Century School Nursing Practice ™ the following topics should be addressed:
- Specific examples of how the nominee utilizes data to identify problems, issues or trends and uses that data in decision making for district school health services
- Specific examples of how the nominee collaborates with students, parents, staff and outside entities to improve student health and safety
- Describe specifically how the nurse demonstrates respect, equity, and empathy in actions and interactions with all students, families, school staff, other healthcare professionals, internal and external stakeholders, and community partners.
- How the nominee assures the presence of school health services in school or district decision making and influences defining the vision and mission for district health services
- How the nominee supports school nurses and other school health services staff and what leadership roles are held within the district, community or state
- List of continuing education and professional development activities complete for self and others
- How the nominee articulates the value of research and ensures policies, procedures, and guidelines are evidenced-based in their application to the practice of school nursing
- The total uploaded file should not exceed 10 one-sided pages.
- For consideration, a Complete nomination packet must be submitted no later than end of day Friday, March 6th, 2020.