Wisconsin Association of School Nurses
National Board Certification Scholarship Award Process
Purpose: This program honors WASN’s commitment to meeting our mission of supporting and advancing the practice of professional school nurses in Wisconsin by supporting the achievement of attaining the highest national standards for school nursing care.
Procedure: As a benefit of membership in the organization, two scholarships in the amount of $360.00 will be awarded annually to reimburse the cost of the current national certification registration fee.
The scholarships will be awarded after applicant successfully passes the NBCSN exam and verification of applicant meeting criteria for the program has been completed.
- Current Active membership status in WASN for at least the past two years.
- Current uninhibited license as a registered nurse in the state of Wisconsin.
- Current employment as a school nurse in the State of Wisconsin.
- Obtain passing score on NBCSN exam and receive notice of certification from NBCSN
- Applicants may not be part of the selection committee.
- Only complete applications will be accepted and reviewed.
- Register for and complete exam for NBCSN: https://www.nbcsn.org/ncsn/examination/
- Submit a complete electronic application within the designated rolling application dates
- Late applications will not be considered.
- All applicants will be notified of the Scholarship Committee's decision by the WASN President (or designee) within 30 days of application deadline.
- Scholarship essays and applications will be reviewed, scored, and verified by the Scholarship Committee based on the Essay Grading Rubric.
- The Scholarship will only be presented to candidates who meet all of the established criteria.
- Scholarships will not be awarded if a qualified candidate is not identified and the program’s budgeted funds will be placed back into the general fund for WASN.
- The decision of the committee will be final and not open to appeal.
- Two scholarships are available per year based on WASN’s fiscal calendar (July 1st-June 30th)
- Once two awards have been distributed, the program will close until the next fiscal year.
- Scholarship awards will be granted upon successful completion of the NCSN exam and verification of application requirements.
- Scholarship recipients must complete and return the WASN Scholarship Recipient Form that is sent with award notification.
- Recipient's name and photo will be published in the WASN Notes newsletter.
- Recipient(s) will be recognized at the annual WASN conference during the awards ceremony.
Application Deadline: WASN is working to provide this for the 2022 timeline and we appreciate your patience. Dates are based on the NBCSN testing windows and notification timeline of 8 weeks post testing window close. For 2019-20 the rolling dates include*: July 15th, 2019 (Summer test window 2019), January 15th 2020 (Fall test window 2019), May 20th 2020 (Spring test window 2020).
*Once two awards have been distributed during the current WASN fiscal year, the program will close until the next WASN fiscal year.
NBCSN scholarship Application*:
*Please include a written verification of current employment as a school nurse, confirmation of passing score on NBCSN exam, and notice of certification from NBCSN (online verification may also be used for this).
*Only complete applications received prior to the rolling application deadlines will be reviewed.
Step 2: Complete an essay, double-spaced 500 words or less, using the evaluation rubric.
Please address the following topics in your essay:
- At least one of your desired professional goals related to certification.
- The benefit this certification may have on your school nursing practice and the Impact on your school, community, and at risk and/or underserved population groups.
- What your contribution to WASN and other school nurses as a result of this advanced certification may be.
Step 3: Complete an application to include verification documents and essay attachments.
Link to Application