Wisconsin Association of School Nurses
Katheryn Etter School Nurse of the Year Nomination Process
To publicly recognize the contributions of school nursing state-wide by honoring one school
nurse annually who has demonstrated excellence in school nursing practice.SPONSOR:
Wisconsin Association of School Nurses (WASN)ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA:
CRITERIA FOR SELECTION:
- Nominee must be a registered professional nurse and a member of WASN for the current year.
- Nominee must be currently practicing full-time as a school nurse. Full-time is defined as working the full position that is available. If the only School Nurse position in that community involves fewer hours than usual full-time, it will be considered full-time for the purposes of this eligibility criteria. If the school nurse in your district is in an administrative role (has as their main responsibilities the supervision, administration, and coordination of nursing service and health programs rather than direct student care), please consider them for the School Nurse Administrator of the Year, found at this link:
- Current members of the WASN Board of Directors are eligible for nomination.
- Nominees or anyone nominating an individual may not serve on the selection committee.
Supporting evidence of excellence in school nursing practice must be provided with the nomination. Demonstration of excellence in practice using the Framework 21st Century School Nursing Practice ™ is expected. Standards of excellence in professional practice are evaluated according to the following:
National Association of School Nurses’ (NASN) Standards of Professional Performance for School Nursing (4th Edition, 2022):
Standard 11: COLLABORATION - The School Nurse collaborates with students, the families, and key stakeholders.
Standard 12: LEADERSHIP - The School Nurse leads within their professional practice setting and the profession.
Standard 13: EDUCATION - The School Nurse seeks knowledge and competence that reflects current nursing practice and promotes innovative, anticipatory thinking.
Standard 14: SCHOLARLY INQUIRY: The School Nurse integrates scholarship, evidence, and research findings into practice.
Standard 15: QUALITY OF PRACTICE - The school nurse contributes to quality nursing practice.
PROCEDURE FOR SUBMISSION OF AN APPLICATION:
1. Nomination may be made by fellow school nurses, school staff, administrators, supervisors, teachers, parents, students, community members or others. Please feel free to share this application throughout your district.
2. The nomination form can be found online at this link.
Supporting documentation requirements are listed below and should be uploaded in the application at the time of nomination.
3. Include in the nomination application process:
- Nomination form.
- Current resume / curriculum vitae including education, awards, committees, membership in professional organizations, certifications, etc...
- Supportive letters of recommendation. Maximum of three (3) letters each limited to one (1) page:
- Letters may be from school nurses, principals, supervisors, teachers, parents, students or community members.
- Letters should describe specific issues or topics related to the nominee's qualifications for the award. See selection criteria and Standards of Professional Performance for School Nurses as a reference.
- Letters should directly reflect on areas of rating that writer wishes to emphasize. Please spell out local and affiliate acronyms when used for the first time.
- Supporting documents should assist selection committee in determining how nominee demonstrates excellence in the above school nursing standards of practice. This can best be done by addressing:
- how nominee collaborates with students, parents, staff and outside entities to
- improve student health
- continuing education and professional development activities for self and others
- leadership roles within district, community or state,
- professional mentoring to other staff and school nurse colleagues
- data collection and use of data in decision making
- publications, presentations, or project development
- how nominee promotes role of school nurse to others
4. The total upload file is not to exceed 10 pages (10 one-sided).
5. Submission must be no later than 4:00 p.m., February 28, 2023.
If your nominee is selected, WASN will recognize the award recipient during the WASN annual Conference and the WASN Board will work with your school district to organize a local award presentation in your community. Thank you for your consideration of honoring your school nurse administrator with this incredibly distinguished award of school health excellence!